Monday, January 16, 2012

Oktoberfest Munich 2011

Oktoberfest Munich 2011 by pshow242
Oktoberfest Munich 2011, a photo by pshow242 on Flickr.
I turned 40 in September and for my birthday I wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Munich. Of course I was warned by everyone that it would be crowded and crazy but I didn't care I wanted to go at least once while we are here. So off we went. FIrst we drove to Vilseck Germany to meet up with friends so we all can take the train to Munich. It is a 3-1/2 hour drive to Vilseck from our house but with the traffic and construction it took us 6 hours to get there. It didn't seem like a good start to our weekend. Well the next morning we go to the train station at 7am and the train is packed we had to switch trains to get Munich and that train was also packed none in our group had seats we had to stand the whole way there. Once we arrived in Munich we weren't sure which way to go so we just followed the crowed in the wrong direction for a little while but once we finally found the fest grounds all was forgotten. We enter the biggest crowd I have ever been in. Of course all the beer tents were full so Rick took the girls on some rides and then we found a seat in a beer garden. Once we found a seat I stayed there all day drinking beer. We only stayed 5 hours we had to leave to catch the last train back to Vilseck which left at 6pm. The train ride back was miserable. The train was so crowded and hot no one got seats and the kids were so hot and crabby when we had to switch trains nothing was open there was no where to get a drink or even use the bathroom we had about an hour wait for the train when it finally arrived everyone was so exhausted and Abby was so crabby I felt so sorry for her. It was an experience that I probably won't do again but hey you only turn 40 once and I am glad we did it. The next weekend we went to Stuttgart's Oktoberfest and that was a great time not so crowded and you could actually move around with out saying sorry or excuse me every two seconds and there was plenty of room in all the beer tents. I won't go back to Munich but I will go back to Stuttgart.

No comments: